|Beneath the vast surface details and
nuances of sailing are 22 elements. Understand these core principles and you
are on your way to sailing mastery. For example:
The Blue Book of Sailing grounds its lessons in the
timeless traditions and romance of sail while illustrating them with
contemporary boats, rigs, and stories. This is the book that delves beneath the
what's and how's to explore the why's. When you understand these 22 essentials,
you will have exchanged the memorized responses of rote learning for the
effortless mastery of an instinctive sailor. You will always be in tune with
- It's easier to master the nine ways of shaping a mainsail
when you understand the principles of sail shape.
- It's easier to master a sailor's knots when you understand
what makes a good one.
- It's easier to diagnose sluggish performance when you know
how lift is developed by the rig and keel.
- You'll sail faster and with less effort when you understand
the principles of helm balance and can steer with the sails alone.
- And it's easier to take the helm of any boat, no matter how
unfamiliar, when you can judge its sailing qualities by its appearance.